July 27-29, 2012 • Sheraton Centre Toronto Hotel
Preconference Courses: July 26-27, 2012 • Professional Members’ Forum: July 30, 2012
Hackerspace Movement: Hacking the Future
Mitch Altman, co-founder of Noisebridge, a San Francisco hacker space, and president and CEO of Cornfield Electronics, best known for inventing TV-B-Gone remote controls, a keychain that turns off TVs in public places. He was also co-founder of 3ware (a Silicon Valley RAID controller company), did pioneering work in virtual reality at VPL Research, and created the Brain Machine, one of MAKE Magazine's most popular DIY projects, San Francisco, California, USA
In 2007 there were a handful of hackerspaces. Now there are over 900 existing or forming throughout the world. All this has happened without a central organization, and with very little money. This growing movement has exploded because individuals started these supportive communities where people can explore and do what they love. We all need community, and we all need to express ourselves creatively. Hackerspaces provide a physical space for exploring and supporting these two powerful, deep, inner needs. Hackerspaces also provide a very real alternative to the failed education systems in the US and elsewhere. This session will show how anyone can benefit from a hackerspace, as well as how to start a hacker space anywhere. The future of humanity rests on the ability of individuals creating opportunities for themselves and those around them to live lives that we, individually and collectively, want to live.
Participants will leave the session with an understanding of:
- How to start supportive communities that empower individuals to be their best and create positive change in the world.
- The efficacy of hands-on learning as a means for people to learn what they want to learn to live lives they want to live.
- How together we can create more opportunities for more people to lead more fulfilling lives.
- How one person can initiate this change!
- About WFS
- Contact Us
- Frequently Asked Questions
- History of WFS
- Board and Council
- Press Room
- Futurist Gear
- Are You the Next CEO of the World Future Society?
- Book a WFS / Futurist Magazine Speaker